Steering clear of excess salt is important if you're trying to get bikini-ready (and live a long, healthy life), but as far as getting gorgeous skin, healthy hair, and fresh breath, consider salt your new go-to. Here are ten ways to get gorgeous with salt.
1. Mix 1 teaspoon of finely ground sea salt with 3 teaspoons of raw honey to make a skin-balancing face mask that will simultaneously control oil and retain skin's moisture.
2. A good soak in salt water helps to purify skin by removing toxins and absorbing dirt and grime, plus it softens and helps retain skin's natural moisture barrier. Mix a third cup of sea salt with your warm bath water, let it dissolve, then soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Salt is a natural disinfectant and can kill bacteria that causes bad breath. Mix up a homemade mouthwash by combining ½ teaspoon of salt with ½ teaspoon of baking soda and ¼ cup of warm water.
4. Make a skin-softening body scrub by mixing ¼ cup of sea salt with ½ cup of coconut oil. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil if you want.
5. Fill a small spray bottle with tepid water and add a teaspoon of sea salt to make a refreshing, oil-absorbing skin toner.
6. Get rid of puffy eyes by placing cotton pads soaked in a hot salt water solution over your eyes. (About one teaspoon of salt and ¼ cup hot water for the solution.)
7. Make a clarifying conditioning treatment for your hair by mixing equal parts Epsom salt with conditioner. This will give your hair volume and get rid of product buildup.
8. For a hydrating and healing body scrub, mix ½ cup salt with ¼ cup each of coconut oil and pure aloe vera juice or gel. You can also add 10 drops of lavender essential oil, which has antiseptic properties.
9. The next time you steam your face, add ⅓ cup sea salt to the pan of water before it boils, then proceed as usual.
10. For bright, healthy-looking nails, mix one teaspoon each of salt, baking soda, and lemon juice with ½ cup warm water in a bowl. Soak fingers in the solution for 10 minutes, then gently scrub with a nail brush or old toothbrush.