Using milk as a topical beauty ingredient dates back to ancient Greece and Egypt (Cleopatra was known to bathe in it), and it can be found in countless skincare products currently on the market. The lactic acid, calcium, vitamin B12, protein, and other nutrients found in milk all work together to slough off dead skin cells (lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid), moisturize dry skin and hair, repair damage, stimulate collagen production, and promote more youthful skin and a healthy glow. Here are ten ways you can get gorgeous skin and hair with milk. (HINT: stick with full fat milk for maximum benefits!)
1. Make a nourishing milk and honey scrub by mixing 3 tablespoons of milk with 3 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon of raw oatmeal (crumble the oatmeal a bit).
2. Mash ¼ of a ripe avocado with 1 tablespoon of milk to make a smooth paste for a nutrient-rich face mask.
3. Use milk as a toner after washing your face. The lactic acid will unclog pores and help to give you clear, clean skin.
4. Add 3 cups milk, ½ cup Epsom salts, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a hot bath for a nourishing, spa-like soak.
5. To repair dry, damaged hair, toss half of a banana, 3 tablespoons of milk, and 1 tablespoon each of honey and olive oil into a blender and whip until it's the consistency of conditioner. Apply to hair and leave on for 30 minutes to an hour.
6. Whip up an acne-fighting face mask by mixing a tablespoon of milk with a pinch of turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
7. To soothe a sunburn, soak a soft cloth in a bowl of cold, fresh milk and apply to skin as a cold compress.
8. Add 2 tablespoons of milk to a smashed banana, apply to your face, leave on for 30 minutes, and rinse. Your face will feel soft and moisturized.
9. Mix equal parts milk and lemon juice and apply to your face with a cotton ball to treat acne and brighten dull skin.
10. Make a hydrating pre-shampoo hair mask by mixing together 2 tablespoons each of milk, plain yogurt, olive oil, and mayo. Apply to hair and cover and leave on for 30 minutes, then rinse well and shampoo and condition as usual.